NOTE: If you a Contractor interested in enrolling your employees at IEC Chesapeake, please click here to visit the Contractor’s FAQ page.
Information for Those Currently Employed as an Apprentice or Seeking Employment as an Apprentice
How to Apply to the Apprenticeship Program
At a Glance
- Complete and submit the application and required documents as outlined below.
- Complete online OSHA 10 or provide a copy of card if obtained already
- Be assigned an appointment time with IEC Chesapeake for an Interview and Reading/Math Assessment
- Complete the Reading and Math assessment.
- Interview with the Apprenticeship Committee
- Enrollment Decision
The Application Process
- Read through our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It will answer most all of your questions concerning the electrical apprenticeship program.
- Click here to download and complete the Current Apprenticeship Application.
- You must also submit a processing fee with your application. It should be paid via Check (Made payable to IEC Chesapeake A&T). The rates are as follows:
$100 Processing Fee if OSHA 10 Certification is not completed - OSHA 10 is required to continue application process - if postmarked before deadline.
$60 Processing Fee if OSHA 10 Certification IS complete and postmarked before deadline.
$35 Additional Processing Fee if postmarked after the deadline.
Fall Session: July 15th
January Sesssion: December 1st
*Students currently employed with a company requiring them to be state registered more than 2 months prior to school start must pay an additional $35 nonrefundable administrative fee. Fees are subject to change. Submitting an application does not designate you as a state registered apprentice.
- Gather all Required Documents (as outlined in the Required Document Checklist)
- Drivers License
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Two Letters of Recommendation from Personal References
- OSHA10 Card (if you have previously obtained one)
- Letter from Employer Recommending you for online Training (If applicable)
- Transcript (If Transferring from Another Program)
- Mail the Application, Processing Fee, and all required Documents in one envelope to our offices at:
IEC Chesapeake Apprenticeship and Training Inc.
8751 Freestate Drive Suite 250
Laurel, MD 20723
- Complete OSHA 10 Safety training.
Once all documents have been received and processed, you will be contacted with instructions on how to complete your OSHA 10 Safety Training. Successful completion of OSHA 10 is required prior to Interviewing with the Apprenticeship Committee.
- You MUST complete the Online OSHA 10 Safety Training before you will be scheduled for an interview.
- Fax your Certificate of Completion to 301.912.1665, or email it to Apprenticeship@iecchesapeake.com
- Come in at your assigned time for a Reading and Math Assessment, and an Interview with the Apprenticeship Committee.
Once the Application, Processing Fee, All Required Documents, and your OSHA 10 Certificate have been received, IEC Chesapeake will contact you to schedule a date and time to come in.
As part of this appointment, you will be asked to complete a basic Math/Reading assessment to ensure you have the necessary foundation to complete the program. You must pass both of these assessments to be admitted into the program.
After you complete the assessment, you will sit down to interview with members of the Apprenticeship Committee. This interview is meant for committee members to evaluate your commitment to the program, and the industry.
Quick tip: Have a clear understanding of why you personally are interested in pursuing a career in the electrical or HVAC industries.
- Enrollment Decision
Once you have completed all the above steps, you will be informed of your enrollment decision. If you are accepted into the program, refer to our Current Student FAQ for additional information.
If you are not accepted into the program for any reason, you will be given the opportunity to re-qualify at the discretion of our staff.
What is a letter of reference?
As part of the IEC Chesapeake Application, prospective students are required to submit 2 Letters of Reference. A Letter of Reference is a short letter written by a non-family member that speaks to the character and qualifications of the student. It should also explain how the person knows the prospective student.
The letters can be typed, or handwritten but must come from a non-family member. We suggest asking your current or former employers, former or current teachers, former or current coworkers, or people who can specifically speak to your character.
Be sure to give your reference plenty of notice, and thoroughly explain what is expected.Both letters must be included with your other documents to ensure your application is processed.
Advanced Placement Tests
If you think you are eligible to skip a year of our program because of your work experience, and you are certain you know the code book inside and out, you may request an Advanced Placement Test. Be warned, these tests are not easy. Before attempting to skip a year, be sure to review our curriculum. An Advanced Placement Test requires a $100 nonrefundable processing fee. All Advanced Placement Tests must be taken at least 1 month prior to the start of class.
To schedule a test, email Apprenticeship@IECChesapeake.com
Events & News Feed
Journey to Journeyman
Our Star Pupil for 2018 is back, starting Fall courses, Year Two. Here's a few words from Andrew Park ...
An Overview on Emergency Radio Communication Enhancement Systems (ERCES)
Standard Registration: $20.00
Members receive 25% discount
Policy Cancellation deadline is 15 business days prior to seminar. All cancellations ...
Journeyman Exam Prep 2018 October Session
THIS CLASS HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED.
PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES.
EC&M's 2018 Top 20 Electrical Contractors
IECC Members Make the List:
#7 M.C. Dean, Inc.
#8 IES Holdings
#10 Helix Electric
#15 Power Design, Inc ...